This is a really creamy Italian soup. Cooking chickpeas makes them easier to digest and less… ermm… eruptive in the digestive system. This recipe serves 3-4 people.
3 tablespoons of olive oil , plus additional for drizzling
8 cloves of garlic , finely chopped
1 1/2 tablespoons of fresh rosemary leaves, finely chopped
1/2 a teaspoon of paprika
5 cups of cooked chickpeas or 3 cans of chickpeas (rinsed and drained)
4 cups of vegetable stock
2 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice
Fresh parsley for garnish (optional)
Salt and pepper, to taste
1. In a large saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat.
2. Add garlic, rosemary and paprika.
3. Stir constantly for 1-2 minutes until the garlic starts to turn golden.
4. Add the chickpeas and cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
5. Add the vegetable stock and rosemary. Bring to a boil.
6. Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
7. Let soup cool slightly and then transfer to a food processor. Blend until smooth.
8. Return to the saucepan and reheat on a low heat.
9. Stir in lemon juice and add salt and pepper to taste.
10. Serve by drizzling with olive oil, add fresh parsley to the top as a garnish.
SOURCE: Adapted from April Bloomfield’s recipe via Oprah